5 Ways to Make Downsizing Easy – Are you moving into a cozier space? Whether you’re an empty nester moving from a house into a condo or simply choosing a smaller home, downsizing can be a stressful experience. This stress often comes from the amount of stuff that has no place in a new, smaller space. Many become overwhelmed when they have to decide which belongings stay and which have to go. That’s why we’ve created this list of tips for making downsizing an easy, nearly painless process.
Here are 5 ways to make downsizing easy:
- Slow and steady wins the race. Start at least three months before your move and set aside some time each day or each week to go through your possessions. Procrastinating will only make you more stressed and anxious for your move.
- Go digital. You’ll save a ton of room by limiting the amount of paper in your home, and help the environment, too! Consider storing your documents on an online cloud storage app such as Dropbox or Google Apps.
- Make a list of must-keeps. Seriously consider what items you can’t live without and write them down. This will help you say goodbye to the things that didn’t make the list and grow accustomed to a smaller amount of stuff.
- Be realistic. Have you used that item in the last few months? When did you last wear that outfit? Be honest and lose anything that you can live without or no longer need.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle. Instead of throwing away the items that don’t make the cut, give them to friends, use them in a DIY project, or donate them to charity.
Have you moved into a smaller home? Do you have any tips for downsizing? Leave a comment and let us know!